How to care for a baby who dies in utero, prior to birth
- Have a warm basin of water to receive the baby. Prearrange for the doctor to hand the baby to you and gently place the baby in water.
- This bathes the baby, and bodily fluids will rinse away.
- This also preserves integrity of skin and minimizes slippage.
- Do not rub to wash or dry the baby.
- Do not use soaps-this will hasten a skin breakdown.
- Consider props, i.e., wedding rings, toys, teddy bears, special blankets, religious items.
- Allow parents to choose the outfit they prefer, if applicable.
- Sensitively drape imperfections for photos.